|Healthcare Training Institute - Quality Education since 1979CE for Psychologist, Social Worker, Counselor, & MFT!!
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Barnes, S. M., Walter, K. H., & Chard, K. M. (2012). Does a history of mild traumatic brain injury increase suicide risk in veterans with PTSD? Rehabilitation Psychology, 57(1), 18–26.
Bryan, C. J. (2015). Adjusting our aim: Next steps in military and veteran suicide prevention. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 2(1), 84–85.f
Buck, R., Powers, S. R., & Hull, K. S. (2017). Measuring emotional and cognitive empathy using dynamic, naturalistic, and spontaneous emotion displays. Emotion, 17(7), 1120–1136.
Cole, B. P., & Davidson, M. M. (2019). Exploring men’s perceptions about male depression. Psychology of Men & Masculinities, 20(4), 459–466.
Conner, K. R., Bohnert, A. S., McCarthy, J. F., Valenstein, M., Bossarte, R., Ignacio, R., Lu, N., & Ilgen, M. A. (2013). Mental disorder comorbidity and suicide among 2.96 million men receiving care in the veterans health administration health system. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122(1), 256–263.
Dahl, J., Vescio, T., & Weaver, K. (2015). How threats to masculinity sequentially cause public discomfort, anger, and ideological dominance over women. Social Psychology, 46(4), 242–254.
Gamarra, J. M., Luciano, M. T., Gradus, J. L., & Stirman, S. W. (2015). Assessing variability and implementation fidelity of suicide prevention safety planning in a regional VA healthcare system. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 36(6), 433–439.
Genuchi, M. C., & Valdez, J. N. (2015). The role of anger as a component of a masculine variation of depression. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 16(2), 149–159.
Granato, S. L., Smith, P. N., & Selwyn, C. N. (2015). Acquired capability and masculine gender norm adherence: Potential pathways to higher rates of male suicide. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 16(3), 246–253.
Grijalva, E., Newman, D. A., Tay, L., Donnellan, M. B., Harms, P. D., Robins, R. W., & Yan, T. (2015). Gender differences in narcissism: A meta-analytic review. Psychological Bulletin, 141(2), 261–310.
Lopez, M. N., Pierce, R. S., Gardner, R. D., & Hanson, R. W. (2013). Standardized Beck Depression Inventory-II scores for male veterans coping with chronic pain. Psychological Services, 10(2), 257–263.
Mackenzie, C. S., Visperas, A., Ogrodniczuk, J. S., Oliffe, J. L., & Nurmi, M. A. (2019). Age and sex differences in self-stigma and public stigma concerning depression and suicide in men. Stigma and Health, 4(2), 233–241.
McCullumsmith, C. B., Clark, C. B., Perkins, A., Fife, J., & Cropsey, K. L. (2013). Gender and racial differences for suicide attempters and ideators in a high-risk community corrections population. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 34(1), 50–62.
McDermott, R. C., Schwartz, J. P., & Trevathan-Minnis, M. (2012). Predicting men's anger management: Relationships with gender role journey and entitlement. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 13(1), 49–64.
Nadeau, M. M., Balsan, M. J., & Rochlen, A. B. (2016). Men’s depression: Endorsed experiences and expressions. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 17(4), 328–335.
Orth, U., Robins, R. W., Meier, L. L., & Conger, R. D. (2016). Refining the vulnerability model of low self-esteem and depression: Disentangling the effects of genuine self-esteem and narcissism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 110(1), 133–149.
Overall, N. C., Hammond, M. D., McNulty, J. K., & Finkel, E. J. (2016). When power shapes interpersonal behavior: Low relationship power predicts men’s aggressive responses to low situational power. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 111(2), 195–217.
Rivera, L. M., & Dasgupta, N. (2018). The detrimental effect of affirming masculinity on judgments of gay men. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 19(1), 102–116.
Rohmann, E., Bierhoff, H.-W., & Schmohr, M. (2011). Narcissism and perceived inequity in attractiveness in romantic relationships. European Psychologist, 16(4), 295–302.
Rudd, M. D., Goulding, J., & Bryan, C. J. (2011). Student veterans: A national survey exploring psychological symptoms and suicide risk. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 42(5), 354–360.
Sadeh, N., & McNiel, D. E. (2013). Facets of anger, childhood sexual victimization, and gender as predictors of suicide attempts by psychiatric patients after hospital discharge. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122(3), 879–890.
Sánchez, F. J., Westefeld, J. S., Liu, W. M., & Vilain, E. (2010). Masculine gender role conflict and negative feelings about being gay. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 41(2), 104–111.
Sexton, M. B., Davis, M. T., Anderson, R. E., Bennett, D. C., Sparapani, E., & Porter, K. E. (2018). Relation between sexual and gender minority status and suicide attempts among veterans seeking treatment for military sexual trauma. Psychological Services, 15(3), 357–362.
Sierra Hernandez, C. A., Han, C., Oliffe, J. L., & Ogrodniczuk, J. S. (2014). Understanding help-seeking among depressed men. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 15(3), 346–354.
Spendelow, J. S. (2015). Men’s self-reported coping strategies for depression: A systematic review of qualitative studies. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 16(4), 439–447.
Swartout, K. M., Parrott, D. J., Cohn, A. M., Hagman, B. T., & Gallagher, K. E. (2015). Development of the Abbreviated Masculine Gender Role Stress Scale. Psychological Assessment, 27(2), 489–500.
Teding van Berkhout, E., & Malouff, J. M. (2016). The efficacy of empathy training: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 63(1), 32–41.
Uzefovsky, F., Shalev, I., Israel, S., Edelman, S., Raz, Y., Perach-Barzilay, N., Mankuta, D., Shamay-Tsoory, S. G., Knafo, A., & Ebstein, R. P. (2014). The Dopamine D4 receptor gene shows a gender-sensitive association with cognitive empathy: Evidence from two independent samples. Emotion, 14(4), 712–721.
Wade, J. C., & Coughlin, P. (2012). Male reference group identity dependence, masculinity ideology, and relationship satisfaction in men's heterosexual romantic relationships. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 13(4), 325–339.
Whitton, S. W., & Whisman, M. A. (2010). Relationship satisfaction instability and depression. Journal of Family Psychology, 24(6), 791–794.
- Burke, Sara E.; Wang, Katie; Dovidio, John F. Witnessing Disclosure of Depression: Gender and Attachment Avoidance Moderate Interpersonal Evaluations. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology. Jun2014, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p536-559. 24p. DOI: 10.1521/jscp.2014.33.6.536.
- Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Healthcare System; Southern California; RAND Evidence-based Practice Center. Evidence-based Synthesis Program Strategies for Suicide Prevention in Veterans. Department of Veterans Affairs and Health Services Research & Development Service, January 2009 p1-85.
- Giosan, Cezar; Cobeanu, Oana; Mogoase, Cristina; Muresan, Vlad; Malta, Loretta S.; Wyka, Katarzyna; Szentagotai, Aurora. Evolutionary cognitive therapy versus standard cognitive therapy for depression: a protocol for a blinded, randomized, superiority clinical trial. Trials. 2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1-25. 25p. 1 Diagram. DOI: 10.1186/1745-6215-15-83.
- Hatton, Corrine PhD, Valente, Sharon, Rink, Alice, & Edwin Shneidman, Suicide: Assessment and Intervention, Appleton-Century-Crofts: New York,
- Hipple, John MA, & Peter Cimbolic, The Counselor
and Suicidal Crisis: Diagnosis and Intervention, Thomas Books, Inc.: Springfield,
- Kubrin, Charis E.; Wadsworth, Tim; Explaining Suicide Among Blacks and Whites: How Socioeconomic Factors and Gun Availability Affect Race-Specific Suicide Rates; Social Science Quarterly (Blackwell Publishing Limited), December 2009, Vol 90 Issue 5, p1203
- Leenaars, Antoon A. PhD, Psychotherapy with Suicidal
People: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.: West Sussex, 2004.
Leenaars, Antoon PhD, Maltsberger, John T., & Robert A. Neimeyer, Treatment
of Suicidal People, Taylor & Francis: London, 1998.
- Maeda, Uta; Shen, Biing-Jiun; Schwarz, Ernst; Farrell, Kristen; Mallon, Stephen. Self-Efficacy Mediates the Associations of Social Support and Depression with Treatment Adherence in Heart Failure Patients. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Mar2013, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p88-96. 9p. 2 Diagrams, 2 Charts. DOI: 10.1007/s12529-011-9215-0.
- Matos, Marcela; Pinto-Gouveia, José. Shamed by a Parent or by Others: The Role of Attachment in Shame Memories Relation to Depression. International Journal of Psychology & Psychological Therapy. 2014, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p217-244. 28p.
- Moeller-Leimkuehler, A.M.; Yuecel, M., How gender-specific is male depression?; European Psychiatry, January 2009, Vol 24, pS182
- Philip J. cowen and Michael Browning. What has serotonin to do with depression?. National Center for Biotechnology Information. World Psychiatry 14:2 - June 2015, p158-160.
Richman, Joseph PhD, Family Therapy for Suicidal People, Springer Publishing
Company: New York, 1999.
- Shapero, Benjamin G.; Black, Shimrit K.; Liu, Richard T.; Klugman, Joshua; Bender, Rachel E.; Abramson, Lyn Y.; Alloy, Lauren B. Stressful Life Events and Depression Symptoms: The Effect of Childhood Emotional Abuse on Stress Reactivity. Journal of Clinical Psychology. Mar2014, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p209-223. 15p. 2 Charts. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.22011
- Shneidman, Edwin S. PhD, Comprehending
Suicide: Landmarks in 20th~Century Suicidology, American Psychological Association:
Washington DC, 2001.
- Shneidman, Edwin PhD, The Suicidal
Mind, Oxford University Press: New York, 2001.