|Healthcare Training Institute - Quality Education since 1979CE for Psychologist, Social Worker, Counselor, & MFT!!
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Aderka, I. M., Gillihan, S. J., McLean, C. P., & Foa, E. B. (2013). The relationship between posttraumatic and depressive symptoms during prolonged exposure with and without cognitive restructuring for the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 81(3), 375–382.
Alden, L. E., Buhr, K., Robichaud, M., Trew, J. L., & Plasencia, M. L. (2018). Treatment of social approach processes in adults with social anxiety disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 86(6), 505–517.
Anderson, P. L., Price, M., Edwards, S. M., Obasaju, M. A., Schmertz, S. K., Zimand, E., & Calamaras, M. R. (2013). Virtual reality exposure therapy for social anxiety disorder: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 81(5), 751–760.
Baumann, C., Schiele, M. A., Herrmann, M. J., Lonsdorf, T. B., Zwanzger, P., Domschke, K., Reif, A., Deckert, J., & Pauli, P. (2017). Effects of an anxiety-specific psychometric factor on fear conditioning and fear generalization. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225(3), 200–213.
Bjornsson, A. S., Sibrava, N. J., Beard, C., Moitra, E., Weisberg, R. B., Benítez, C. I. P., & Keller, M. B. (2014). Two-year course of generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder with agoraphobia in a sample of Latino adults. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82(6), 1186–1192.
Bonsaksen, T., Lerdal, A., Borge, F.-M., Sexton, H., & Hoffart, A. (2011). Group climate development in cognitive and interpersonal group therapy for social phobia. Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, 15(1), 32–48.
Boswell, J. F. (2013). Intervention strategies and clinical process in transdiagnostic cognitive–behavioral therapy. Psychotherapy, 50(3), 381–386.
Bowers, W. A., & Yates, W. R. (1992). Cognitive therapy during discontinuation of alprazolam for social phobia. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 29(2), 285–287.
Castelloe, M. S. (2016). Review of Traumatic ruptures: Abandonment and betrayal in the analytic relation [Review of the book Traumatic ruptures: Abandonment and betrayal in the analytic relation, by R. A. Deutsch, Eds.]. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 33(4), 664–671.
Chambless, D. L., Allred, K. M., Chen, F. F., McCarthy, K. S., Milrod, B., & Barber, J. P. (2017). Perceived criticism predicts outcome of psychotherapy for panic disorder: Replication and extension. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85(1), 37–44.
Chambless, D. L., Milrod, B., Porter, E., Gallop, R., McCarthy, K. S., Graf, E., Rudden, M., Sharpless, B. A., & Barber, J. P. (2017). Prediction and moderation of improvement in cognitive-behavioral and psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85(8), 803–813.
Chang, V. T., Overall, N. C., Madden, H., & Low, R. S. T. (2018). Expressive suppression tendencies, projection bias in memory of negative emotions, and well-being. Emotion, 18(7), 925–941.
Craske, M. G., Niles, A. N., Burklund, L. J., Wolitzky-Taylor, K. B., Vilardaga, J. C. P., Arch, J. J., Saxbe, D. E., & Lieberman, M. D. (2014). Randomized controlled trial of cognitive behavioral therapy and acceptance and commitment therapy for social phobia: Outcomes and moderators. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82(6), 1034–1048.
Dryman, M. T., McTeague, L. M., Olino, T. M., & Heimberg, R. G. (2017). Evaluation of an open-access CBT-based Internet program for social anxiety: Patterns of use, retention, and outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85(10), 988–999.
Ehring, T., Ehlers, A., & Glucksman, E. (2008). Do cognitive models help in predicting the severity of posttraumatic stress disorder, phobia, and depression after motor vehicle accidents? A prospective longitudinal study. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76(2), 219–230.
Erceg-Hurn, D. M., & McEvoy, P. M. (2018). Bigger is better: Full-length versions of the Social Interaction Anxiety Scale and Social Phobia Scale outperform short forms at assessing treatment outcome. Psychological Assessment, 30(11), 1512–1526.
Eterović, M. (2020). Recognizing the role of defensive processes in empirical assessment of shame. Psychoanalytic Psychology. Advance online publication.
Garcia-Lopez, L.-J., Beidel, D., Muela-Martinez, J.-A., & Espinosa-Fernandez, L. (2018). Optimal cut-off score of Social Phobia and Anxiety Inventory-Brief Form: Detecting DSM-5 social anxiety disorder and performance-only specifier. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 34(4), 278–282.
Glazier, B. L., & Alden, L. E. (2019). Social anxiety disorder and memory for positive feedback. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 128(3), 228–233.
Gorka, S. M., Lieberman, L., Shankman, S. A., & Phan, K. L. (2017). Startle potentiation to uncertain threat as a psychophysiological indicator of fear-based psychopathology: An examination across multiple internalizing disorders. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 126(1), 8–18.
Hayes-Skelton, S. A., Calloway, A., Roemer, L., & Orsillo, S. M. (2015). Decentering as a potential common mechanism across two therapies for generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(2), 395–404.
Hoffart, A. (2016). Cognitive models for panic disorder with agoraphobia: A study of disaggregated within-person effects. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(9), 839–844.
Hofmann, S. G. (2004). Cognitive Mediation of Treatment Change in Social Phobia. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 72(3), 392–399.
Hofmann, S. G., Moscovitch, D. A., Kim, H.-J., & Taylor, A. N. (2004). Changes in Self-Perception During Treatment of Social Phobia. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 72(4), 588–596.
Jenkins, S. R., & Nowlin, R. B. (2018). Clients’ TAT interpersonal decentering predicts psychotherapy retention and process. Rorschachiana, 39(2), 135–156.
Katz, A. C., Norr, A. M., Buck, B., Fantelli, E., Edwards-Stewart, A., Koenen-Woods, P., Zetocha, K., Smolenski, D. J., Holloway, K., Rothbaum, B. O., Difede, J., Rizzo, A., Skopp, N., Mishkind, M., Gahm, G., Reger, G. M., & Andrasik, F. (2020). Changes in physiological reactivity in response to the trauma memory during prolonged exposure and virtual reality exposure therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. Advance online publication.
Keesman, M., Aarts, H., Häfner, M., & Papies, E. K. (2020). The decentering component of mindfulness reduces reactions to mental imagery. Motivation Science, 6(1), 34–42.
Lang, P. J., McTeague, L. M., & Bradley, M. M. (2017). The psychophysiology of anxiety and mood disorders: The RDoC challenge. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225(3), 175–188.
Mattick, R. P., & Peters, L. (1988). Treatment of severe social phobia: Effects of guided exposure with and without cognitive restructuring. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56(2), 251–260.
McCabe, R. E. (2015). Review of The mindfulness and acceptance workbook for social anxiety and shyness: Using acceptance and commitment therapy to free yourself from fear and reclaim your life [Review of the book The mindfulness and acceptance workbook for social anxiety and shyness: Using acceptance and commitment therapy to free yourself from fear and reclaim your life, by J. E. Fleming & N. L. Kocovski]. Canadian Psychology/Psychologie canadienne, 56(1), 152–153.
McCraw, K. S., & Valentiner, D. P. (2015). The Circumscribed Fear Measure: Development and initial validation of a trans-stimulus phobia measure. Psychological Assessment, 27(2), 403–414.
McManus, F., Surawy, C., Muse, K., Vazquez-Montes, M., & Williams, J. M. G. (2012). A randomized clinical trial of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy versus unrestricted services for health anxiety (hypochondriasis). Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 80(5), 817–828.
Owuamalam, C. K., Tarrant, M., Farrow, C. V., & Zagefka, H. (2013). The effect of metastereotyping on judgements of higher-status outgroups when reciprocity and social image improvement motives collide. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science / Revue canadienne des sciences du comportement, 45(1), 12–23.
Platt, M. G., & Freyd, J. J. (2015). Betray my trust, shame on me: Shame, dissociation, fear, and betrayal trauma. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 7(4), 398–404.
Price, M., & Anderson, P. L. (2012). Outcome expectancy as a predictor of treatment response in cognitive behavioral therapy for public speaking fears within social anxiety disorder. Psychotherapy, 49(2), 173–179.
Querstret, D., Morison, L., Dickinson, S., Cropley, M., & John, M. (2020). Mindfulness-based stress reduction and mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for psychological health and well-being in nonclinical samples: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Stress Management. Advance online publication.
Ranđelović, K., Smederevac, S., Čolović, P., & Corr, P. J. (2018). Fear and anxiety in social setting: An experimental study. Journal of Individual Differences, 39(2), 61–75.
Rosellini, A. J., & Brown, T. A. (2014). Initial interpretation and evaluation of a profile-based classification system for the anxiety and mood disorders: Incremental validity compared to DSM-IV categories. Psychological Assessment, 26(4), 1212–1224.
Shikatani, B., Fredborg, B. K., Cassin, S. E., Kuo, J. R., & Antony, M. M. (2019). Acceptability and perceived helpfulness of single session mindfulness and cognitive restructuring strategies in individuals with social anxiety disorder: A pilot study. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science / Revue canadienne des sciences du comportement, 51(2), 83–89.
Shoham, A., Goldstein, P., Oren, R., Spivak, D., & Bernstein, A. (2017). Decentering in the process of cultivating mindfulness: An experience-sampling study in time and context. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 85(2), 123–134.
Stewart, E., Frank, H., Benito, K., Wellen, B., Herren, J., Skriner, L. C., & Whiteside, S. P. H. (2016). Exposure therapy practices and mechanism endorsement: A survey of specialty clinicians. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 47(4), 303–311.
Sutherland, J., Middleton, J., Ornstein, T. J., Lawson, K., & Vickers, K. (2016). Assessing accident phobia in mild traumatic brain injury: The Accident Fear Questionnaire. Rehabilitation Psychology, 61(3), 317–327.
White, A. J., Kleinböhl, D., Lang, T., Hamm, A. O., Gerlach, A. L., & Alpers, G. W. (2017). Identifying patterns in complex field data: Clustering heart rate responses of agoraphobic patients undertaking situational exposure. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225(3), 268–284.
White, A. J., Umpfenbach, K., & Alpers, G. W. (2014). Where have they gone? Tracking movement patterns to document the process of situational exposure in agoraphobia. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 45(3), 171–179.
Zoubaa, S., Dure, S., & Yanos, P. T. (2020). Is there evidence for defensive projection? The impact of subclinical mental disorder and self-identification on endorsement of stigma. Stigma and Health. Advance online publication.
- Acarturk, C.; Smit, F.; de Graaf, R.; van Straten, A.; ten Have, M.; Cuijpers, P; Incidence of social phobia and identification of its risk indicators: a model for prevention; Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, January 2009, Vol 119 Issue 1, p62
- Anderson, Erin. Scared Stiff: Everything You Need to Know about 50 Famous Phobias. Booklist. 3/15/2014, Vol. 110 Issue 14, p69-69.
- Beck, Aaron T. & Emery, Gary. "Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective." Basic Books, Inc. Publishers. New York, NY. 1985.
- Bowman, Darcia Harris; Scared Silent; Education Week; 3/26/2003, Vol. 22, Issue 28
- Briscoe, James; Phobias; General Practitioner, Oct. 6, 2006
- Cox, Brian J.; Pagura, Jina; Stein, Murray B.; Sareen, Jitender; The relationship between generalized social phobia and avoidant personality disorder in a national mental health survey; Depression & Anxiety, 2009, Vol 26 Issue 4, p354
- Curtis, Russell C., Kimball, Amy, Stroup, Erin L.; Understanding and Treating Social Phobia; Journal of Counseling and Development; Winter 2004; Vol. 82, Issue 1.
- DiBartolo, Patricia Marten; Psychology Professor, Smith College
- Dubenetzky, Salome. Differential Diagnosis of Anxiety Disorders. Annals of Psychotherapy & Integrative Health. Summer2013, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p40-46. 7p. 2 Color Photographs, 3 Illustrations.
- Emery, Gary, Ph.D. & Campbell, James, M.D. "Rapid Relief and Emotional Distress." Rawson Associates. New York, NY. 1986.
- Gifford, Elizabeth V.; Tavakoli, Sara; Wang, Ruey; Hagedorn, Hildi J.; Hamlett-Berry, Kim W. Tobacco dependence diagnosis and treatment in Veterans Health Administration residential substance use disorder treatment programs. Addiction. Jun2013, Vol. 108 Issue 6, p1127-1135. 9p. 4 Charts. DOI: 10.1111/add.12105.
- Jensen, Vicki L.; Hougaard, Esben; Fishman, Daniel B. Sara, A Social Phobia Client with Sudden Change After Exposure Exercises in Intensive Cognitive-Behavior Group Therapy: A Case-Based Analysis of Mechanisms of Change. PCSP: Pragmatic Case Studies in Psychotherapy. 2013, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p275-336.
- King, Neville J., Heyne, David, Gullone, Elenora, Molloy, Geoffrey N.; Usefulness of Emotive Imagery in the Treatment of Childhood Phobias: Clinical Guidelines; Counselling Psychology Quarterly, Jun 2001, Vol. 14, Issue 2
- King, Neville J., Muris, Peter, Olledick, Thomas H.; Childhood fears and phobias: Assessment and Treatment; Child & Adolescent Mental Healt; May 2005; Vol. 10, Issue 2
- Kleinknecht, Ronald A.; Afraid of the Weather?; Weatherwise; No/Dec 2002; Vol. 56, Issue 6
- Koerner, Naomi; Antony, Martin; Young, Lisa; McCabe, Randi. Changes in Beliefs about the Social Competence of Self and Others Following Group Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment. Cognitive Therapy & Research. Apr2013, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p256-265. 10p. 3 Charts. DOI: 10.1007/s10608-012-9472-5.
- Kolk, Bessel; Najavits, Lisa M. Interview: What is PTSD Really? Surprises, Twists of History, and the Politics of Diagnosis and Treatment. Journal of Clinical Psychology. May2013, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p516-522. 7p. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.21992.
- Krvanski, Valerie L.; A Breif Review of Selective Mutism Literature; Journal of Psychology; Jan 2003; Vol. 137, Issue 1
- Landes, Sara J. The Case: Treating Jared Through Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Journal of Clinical Psychology. May2013, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p488-489. 2p. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.21984.
- Leahy, Robert. "Practicing Cognitive Therapy: A Guide to Interventions." Jason Aronson, Inc. Northvale, NJ. 1997.
- Liotti, Giovanni. Phobias of Attachment-Related Inner States in the Psychotherapy of Adult Survivors of Childhood Complex Trauma. Journal of Clinical Psychology. Nov2013, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p1136-1147.
- Moldovan, Ramona; David, Daniel. One Session Treatment of Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy and Virtual Reality for Social and Specific Phobias, Preliminary Results from a Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of Evidence-Based Psychotherapies. Mar2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p67-83.
- Monaghan, Peter; Real Fear, Virtually Overcome; Chronicle of Higher Education;10/15/2004; Vol. 51, Issue 8
- Peurifoy, Reneau Z., M.A., M.F.C.C. "Anxiety Phobias, & Panic: A Step by Step Program for Regaining Control of Your Life." Warner Books. New York, NY. 1995.
- Spiegel, David. Tranceformations: Hypnosis in Brain and Body. Depression & Anxiety (1091-4269). Apr2013, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p342-352.
- Szegedy-Maszak, Marianne; Conquering our Phobias; U.S. News & World Report; Vol. 137, Issue 20
- Thurgate C, Heppell S.; Needle phobia- Changing venepuncture practice in ambulatory care; Paediatric Nursing; Nov. 2005; Vol. 17, Issue 9
- Titov, Nickolai; Gibson, Matthew; Andrews, Gavin; McEvoy, Peter; Internet treatment for social phobia reduces comorbidity; Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, August 2009, Vol 43 Issue 8, p754
- Tranel, Daniel D. "The Cognitive Client: A Counseling-Learning Model." Counseling Learning Publications. East Dubuque, IL. 1982.
- Vose, Ruth Hurst. "Agoraphobia." Faber and Faber Limited. London. 1981.
- Wald, Jaye, Taylor, Steven; Preliminary Research on the Efficacy of Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy to Treat Driving Phobia; CyberPsychology & Behavior;Oct 2003; Vol. 6, Issue 5
- Walsh, Joseph; Shyness and Social Phobia; Health & Social Work; May 2002; Vol. 27, Issue 2